2021 Virtual STEM Summit
About | Schedule | Speaker Bios | Sponsors
Join us in our innovative, student-driven event featuring big names in the world of tech and a diverse array of science, technology, engineering and math related careers that are available in southwestern Pennsylvania.
In this virtual model, students will begin by gaining access to remarkable experiences with leaders in the STEM industry. And to add to the engagement and excitement, the students will have the unique opportunity to serve as student hosts, participate through interactive Q & A, and embark on adventures into the workings of the industry.
Monday, May 10: BNY Mellon | Navigate through the cybersecurity behind the “banks of banks”
Tuesday, May 11: SDLC Partners | Be immersed in customized digital solutions for businesses
Wednesday, May 12: Astrobotic | Embark on a journey through developing space robotics technology for lunar and planetary missions and look inside the Moonshot Museum
Thursday, May 13: Gecko Robotics | Climb and inspect the walls with these advanced robots inside industrial sites and power plants
Friday, May 14: Allegheny Health Network, Dr. David Jho | Feel a part of the medical staff working in the world of professional sport leagues and engineering advances in safety equipment - This Session Will Not Be Recorded - JOIN LIVE
Who Should Attend?
• K-12 educators, administrators and guidance counselors
• Elementary students, middle school students and high school students
• College/University educators, students, administrators and career counselors
• Business Leaders - Future Employers
You can join in on our virtual STEM Summit:
• LIVE through zoom and give your students the chance to engage and ask questions. **Librarians, guidance counselors, and specialty teachers can offer passes to students to come and join live
• RECORDED versions of our live broadcast to show to multiple sessions of your classes
• Both! Join live from 1:00-1:45PM and then show the recording to the rest of your classes
When: May 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14
Time: 1:00PM - 2:00PM
Where: via Zoom Webinar - Register Here
1:00 | Opening Remarks by Audrey Russo
1:10 | Student Co-Hosts Intro and Interactive Polling Questions
1:15 | STEM Summit Feature Presentation of the day
1:45 | Student Q & A
Monday, May 10: BNY Mellon, Amanda McMullen, Principal Contributor and David Jones, Senior Group Manager
- Amanda McMullen is a principal contributor who works with the Regulatory Control & Resiliency Operations team at BNY Mellon. She is focused on relationship management activities to ensure that all the Operations and Technology resilience coordinators from the lines of business can meet their annual business continuity life cycle deliverables. Outside of her day-to-day role, Amanda is an active member and leader in the Pittsburgh Chapter of BNY Mellon’s Women in Technology employee resource group.
- David Jones is a Senior Group Manager of Data Science who works with the Architecture & Data organization at BNY Mellon. He manages technology professionals in support of machine learning initiatives across the enterprise, finding insights in confusion and predictions of the future. Dave has more than 37 years’ experience applying technology solutions in the financial industry. “It’s all about the data….”
Tuesday, May 11: SDLC Partners, Selin Insel, Senior UX Designer
Wednesday, May 12: Astrobotics, Molly Schweitzer, Office and Building Manager, Alivia Chapla, Senior Marketing Communications Specialist, and Sam Moore, Executive Director of the Moonshot Museum at Astrobotic
Thursday, May 13: Gecko Robotics, Jake Loosararian, Co-Founder and CEO/CTO
- Jake is the Co-Founder and CEO/CTO at Gecko, a robotic company providing services and software to the largest Power, Energy, and Manufacturing companies in the world. Over the last 7 years, Gecko, has grown to over 130 employees. Customers include Exxon, Chevron, BP, Shell, Duke Energy, and the DOD. Gecko has raised $50M in funding from top VC’s such as Founders Fund, Y Combinator, Drive Capital, and HIVE Ventures.
This Session Will Not Be Recorded - JOIN LIVE - Friday, May 14: Allegheny Health Network, Dr. David Jho, Neurosurgeon
- Dr. David Jho is a neurosurgeon at Allegheny Health Network, managing brain and spine injuries for hospital patients, along with providing medical coverage for professional sport leagues in concussion and spine injuries. His college major was in molecular biophysics and biochemistry at Yale University, and he did a combined MD/PhD degree at the University of Illinois at Chicago with doctorate in vascular biology and pharmacology, in addition to MD degree with academic honors. He completed his neurosurgery residency training at Massachusetts General Hospital of Harvard University, and he returned to the Western Pennsylvania region as a Pittsburgh native and North Allegheny alumnus. He will be giving a talk focused on what is involved in working as medical staff for professional sport leagues and engineering advances in safety equipment, geared towards those students who may be interested in sports medicine and/or engineering.
- For content or logistics questions - Marie Pelloni, Director of Talent Attraction and STEM Development, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For registration questions - Taylor Bombalski, Director, Event Planning & Special Programs, email@example.com
- For sponsorship questions - Ashley Steckel, Director of Business Development and Advertising, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For membership questions - Ryan Gent, Membership Director, email@example.com